Prompt Response - Week 3

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

I would recommend The Lunatic Café by Laurell K. Hamilton. The reason is that it is book 4 in the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. I would also be willing to offer the patron if they would like a printed list of the series for the future, but I would leave it open to them to say yes or no.

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

I would recommend The Gentleman Poet by Kathryn Johnson. This book is a fast-paced story that has a similar writing style specified in NoveList. It’s also a plot-driven story, compelling like the other story they have read.

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

I would recommend Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. Although it is not specified whether the book was to be nonfiction or fiction, I had gone with fiction because fiction books tend to go more into detail about the environments that they create in the story. This story also goes in-depth with the world-building of historical Japan.

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

I would recommend Blind Goddess by Anne Holt. This book’s main character would fit similarly to the main character of the original book they read. It would be a series that they could continue to read after completing the whole series of books by Elizabeth George if they haven’t done so already.

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

I would recommend Zombies by Olivier Peru. Both books that the patron has read before relate nicely to this book, and it continues in the style that the patron likes. It is a graphic novel and the character is recording events as they are experiencing the zombie apocalypse.
6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

I would recommend The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: A Hunger Games Novel by Suzanne Collins. Collins's work has shown what kind of dystopian our world could be, and she shows the start of her original Hunger Games trilogy with this book. This book fits within the literature category the patron wanted while also having a movie, all within the last 4 years.

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

I would recommend Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night by several authors, edited by James Patterson. This book has thirty-two different stories to read, all wrapped up into one book. With this book, it would help the patron get the chance to read many different authors, and possibly find their new favorite through this book, based on the short story they read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Club Experience - The Chaos Machine

Science Fiction Annotation - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

My Reading Profile